Australian Men's Captain...The human Buzzsaw... Jason Walsh

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

JW I've always bowled for as long as I can remember. Mum always told me that I used to run a muck behind the scenes so they put me on the lanes to keep me quiet and out of trouble. But rugby league took over as the main sport in my life as a teenager until an injury stopped me playing. So then I got serious about bowling.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

JW I can't really remember my first game I just remember playing the Pee Wee League where they used to roll carpet out to the arrows and you bowled from there. But I think it was the 3rd week of league where my team had the carpet taken away because we were too good.

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

JW Probably not until the first year I made shield, that year I run 3rd in Aus Masters and won Coca Cola Champion of Champions. I had never really won anything before that.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

JW I was born with talent :) .... no I have videos of me when I was a little kid bowling... I was terrible! But I used to hook it a lot... it used to go in the gutter alot, i have good hand eye coordination, but I think hard practice has helped me a lot.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?
JW The Coca Cola Junior Champion of Champions was the first big tournament I won. I know it was in juniors but back in those days it wasn't easy to win and it’s something I will never forget.

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

JW I think anyone that was at SPC when I won will know that the buzz is still alive within!

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

JW When I made my first Australian Team I used to think that everybody looks at you but know I have realised that they watch everyone not just me so now I just bowl and don't worry about anyone else.

TB
It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

JW I think down the track I would like to coach. I hope that one day I can pass on all the stuff that I have been taught over the years.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

JW The Australian Masters only because I won the junior Aus Masters so I would like to win an adult one.

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

JW I would like to play a few PBA events but probably never full time.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

JW It’s not really something I’ve ever thought of. Only if it bought me into a lot of money and they got my looks right!

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with?

JW Could be a very interesting show, maybe I could team up with Brett Lee and see how quick he could really bowl. Other than that another celebrity who wasn't a sporting hero I would love to partner up with Dolly Parton or Pamela Anderson... only to ... yeah the rest doesn't matter!

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

JW All the boys always tell me that since I’ve been with Michelle I’ve turned into a Cleo bachelor...but there’s no way in the world modeling is for me. they would have a fun time waxing my body!

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

JW I always wanted to play rugby league for the TIGERS! I'd give anything in the world to run on once....

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

JW Hang out with my beautiful fiancé... and I like going fishing and just about anything to do with water.

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

JW It’s a sport where every shot is a challenge and is never the same. You also develop good skills and make new friends all around the world and meet people you would probably never get the chance too.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

JW It’s all been worth it. I've had some great times and memories that I will never forget and made some friends for life.

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

JW Probably playing for my country, it’s what sport is all about... putting on the green and gold. I just hope that the game changes a little in Aus so when future players get the chance to represent their country they are promoted a little better through bowling and are known to your every day league bowler. There’s not too many other sports where your club players couldn't tell you who is in their national team.

TB Boxes or briefs or free for all...

JW Depends what I feel like....depends whether Michelle has done the washing and anything’s clean!!

TB Who has been your driving force in your career?

JW I think in my younger years my Mum is the reason why I always wanted to bowl tournaments, she is still a great player. My Brother and my Dad are the reason why I keep focused and they keep me practicing. And now these days Michelle, she is the main reason why I think I’ve got the will to win back over the last year or so. Michelle has given me a whole new look on life.

TB Thanks for talking to us Jason next time we do this it will be in the USA in your Hotel room traveling across America on the pro tour we hope. Watch out for TotalBowlings next interview.

JW Cheers mate and thanks to Total Bowling for giving new and up and coming bowlers an opportunity to learn about the bowlers they read about.

Back
Top Bottom