Arafura Classic

bm2

I'm still standin'
Congratulations to George Frilingos and Narelle Baker on their respective wins today in the Arafura Classic in Darwin.....

Looked like a tough house to bowl in.

I was interested to see that after a bowler pulled out of matchplay, all previous games against that bowler were awarded as wins - ie his scores were wiped.
Is that normal? Is there a rule on this, or is this at the tournament director's discretion?

For the record, I feel I need to know this as I do the scores for tournaments. I doubt it would have had any effect on the Arafura Classic this year.

Looked like a tough house to bowl in.

I was interested to see that after a bowler pulled out of matchplay, all previous games against that bowler were awarded as wins - ie his scores were wiped.
Is that normal? Is there a rule on this, or is this at the tournament director's discretion?

For the record, I feel I need to know this as I do the scores for tournaments. I doubt it would have had any effect on the Arafura Classic this year.

Don't know if it's " normal ", but it makes sense.
All bowlers who he was to play ( after withdrawal ) get awarded a win without having to play, that could give them an unfair, and unearned, advantage over some of those he had played.

Jim,
"Makes sense" and rules are two different things! :)
I just want to know where the decision comes from (rules or TD).

In all my 40+ years of scratch tournament bowling, I've never seen a bowler lose a match only to be given a victory when the losing bowler withdrew from competition at a later time.

TBA Rule Book
http://www.tenpin.org.au/fileadmin/...nd_Regulations/TBA_Rule_Book_V7_7__1-2-10.pdf

RULE 828 SUBSTITUTIONS DURING GAME OR SERIES
After a game has started, no changes will be made in the order of the players during such game, except that the captain may replace any of his players by another qualified substitute at any time. When a substitution is made during a game, the score of such game will be credited to the starting player.
A player once removed from a game cannot return to bowl in the same game.
Scores bowled through the effort of more than one individual player will not qualify for any TBA or tournament individual high score awards nor will the score be included in the All Events totals.
In doubles events substitutes may be permitted but a player once removed cannot return to the line-up for the balance of the competition.
In singles competitions that finish with a match play final, the next available bowler will replace a bowler who withdraws prior to the matchplay commencing. If the matchplay has commenced and a bowler withdraws, a bye will be declared for all matches that were to be bowled by the bowler who has withdrawn.
All opposition competing against the bye must bowl, but will receive an automatic win. Any bowlers beaten in matchplay by the bowler who has withdrawn will have their results changed and be given an automatic win for that match. A player who has withdrawn may not return for the balance of the competition.

Thanks for pointing out the rule Ian....
it still strike me as odd though, although not as odd as how the women's match play was contested in Darwin.

Amazing. When I saw Hooligan's Reply to my comment about 'common sense', I went to the TBA site, and in under 3 minutes was able to come up with rule 828. As I said, amazing!
Back to the common sense, lets take an extreme example to demonstrate. In the first game, a bowler loses 299 to 300 to the bowler who later withdraws - I don't need to spell out the rest, surely?
Why wouldn't the rules reflect not only common sense, but obvious fairness?

Jim,
Not sure where you are going with this. I didn't care whether the rule makes sense or not. I just wanted to know what it is and was too lazy to search myself. Now I know.

Jim,
Not sure where you are going with this. I didn't care whether the rule makes sense or not. I just wanted to know what it is and was too lazy to search myself. Now I know.

Firstly, let me add my congratulations to the winners, George and Narelle.

Secondly, Hooligan, I am very pleased, indeed quite relieved to know that it was lazyness, that stopped you from looking up the rules to find the answer.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom