900 Global 900 Global Freight Train - A Great Strong Ball

What's Your Preferred Ball Reaction? (Multiple Allowed)

• Small, Smooth Arc

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Big, Strong Arc

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Small, Sharp Hook

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Big, Skid-Flip, Snapping Hook

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
A vignette to begin...

In the late 1980's I used to bowl and hang around in the pro shop of the wonderful, dingy Rockdale Bowl with the venerable Stuart Erwin. We had a gang of friends who would drop in on Friday nights if they had no other plans. It was good fun. Back then, new bowling balls were infrequent and we were about 3-6 months behind the USA, so they were eagerly awaited. There was a nice lady named Joanne MacIntyre who we used to bait with the occasional mention of a mythical (and rumoured to be awesome) ball called "The Freight Train." She always rose to the bait, wanting to know more. I think we got about a year's worth of value out of it, then she took to going along as part of the communal joke and would jab us with regards to the whereabouts of this amazing ball.

This review is dedicated to Stuart and Joanne. And good fun with good people everywhere. :)

900 Global Freight Train Review

Freight-Train-Layout.jpg Despite having too many bowling balls, I have a glaring gap in my arsenal, which has been nagging me for a while. I needed something long and really strong with great continuation of motion. Something when the lanes open up and I need to go left of 25 board and right around the remains of the pattern. I decided a while back that would probably take the form of a strong solid material, symmetric cored ball with a higher RG, bigger diff, long layout and a smooth cover. (Yes, I'm particular about these things!)

Desired Outcome - A ball that pushes through the front of the lane fast, with a very strong midlane and continuous backend.

After considering a number of options, it came down to the Motiv Primal Scream or the 900 Global Freight Train. As the Freight Train has more of the "banana" curve shape I'm after for this slot in the arsenal, I'm running with it. I drilled one for Chris Thomas at the same time, so I'll include some comments on his ball in this review as well. Chris has a high rev rate and a low axis tilt with medium ball speed and a lot of versatility. I have a very high rev rate with medium tilt and medium to high ball speed. I also make a lot of speed and release tweaks to adjust ball reaction and pin carry.

Surface - The black and grey solid S77 cover comes with a smooth sanded surface. They skip a step at the factory in the finishing and leave quite a bit of texture in it. (Like the Storm Virtual Gravity Shift.) I pulled this ball out of the box and immediately put some polish on it to make it push through the front of the lane, in accordance with my desired outcome. We took Chris' ball to 4000 on the Haus machine before drilling. (Note - Mine now looks like polished stone. Very serious looking!)

Layout - My polished ball is near enough to 60° x 5 5/8 x 25° - I want a ball that is super clean through the front, with a defined strong arc hook shape and super continuation. This ball is to be no-holds-barred when the friction can be bounced off. Chris' 4000 grit ball is around 70° x 6" x 30°.

Reaction
First test run is at Belconnen Bowl on USBC Junior Gold Modified Chameleon 39ft, 27mls, 2.1:1 - AMF HPL 9000. They've finally had the flow rate checked on their Kegel Kustodian and no surprises, there wasn't much flow to speak of. Many thanks to Gayle Shoesmith for her tireless efforts in chasing this up (among many other things). There's finally a bit of oil to protect the lanes again. It's so good to have a bowler looking after the place!

Heads - The polished Freight Train was super clean through the front of the lane, a little too clean on the fresh to be honest, as on a pattern this brutal, some more surface was required. (I was expecting Bourbon Street when I got there!) Chris' ball with a bit of surface, had a more aggressive read in the front, which was a better look. As we burned a spot into the pattern, my ball came into it's own though.

Midlane - Despite the big volume in the midlane, my polished ball was looking pretty good in the mids. The layout gave me a very defined point of motion. Chris' ball looked like money in the midlane with a very strong, heavy rolling read. Again, as play progressed, the polished ball outshone (get it?) the ball with surface.

Backend - Both balls made an strong, continuous move in the backend. At 39', the sanded ball was prone to stopping off the spot if Chris didn't stay ahead of the moves. When we opened up the lanes though, my ball was money. The polished cover that was punishing me earlier was now pushing through and simply uncoiling on the backend. (Note - Chris has polished his ball since and swears by it with forward roll.)

Carry - This ball trips 4 pins! At the angles I was playing, this is most unusual and a very good sign. It also hits absurdly hard, tripping soft 10's, sending messengers and blowing light hits into oblivion. In 8 games, I left 2 x 10 pins. Both times, I hadn't moved soon enough and the ball quit right in the last few feet (so I need to make my moves faster.) But I'll take 2 x 10 pins in eight games any day! I should point out that by the end of the set, I was lining up with my feet off the lane. Another 2 games and I'd have been lofting the cap. Another 2 shots and I'd have been in front of the ball return on the right lane. No problem. I suspect that there is nowhere too far left to carry with the Freight Train in my hand.

Overall - Sometimes you get exactly what you were after in a ball and this time I did! The Freight Train is a VERY STRONG ball. But it has the "banana" shape reaction I was looking for. That makes it more dependable than a skid flip ball and a little less likely to split when you miss. (With more rotational "flip" at release, the shape can be made more skid-flip, just like any ball.) With the right surface adjustment, I can see this ball in just about any player's hand. I've got some customers of various styles in mind for this ball with some surface and a couple of high rev young 'uns for a polished version. I'm actually a little excited about this ball! I think it's been overlooked in a crowded marketplace.
Freight-Train-Logo.jpg
Useful On - You could set one of these up for a great number of surfaces and conditions. For strokers who want a strong, continuous ball on the fresh, or just a few extra boards of predictable hook it'd be awesome. I can see this ball carrying from a bit deeper than what you're used to as they break down. For tweeners looking to open up the lanes on a house shot or tournament mid-block, it'd be outstanding. For the crankers, polish one up with a long pin to PAP layout and just get left of everybody after about game 4! It'll carry from any part of the lane! I also have this ball in the back of my mind just in case I hit some real oil. With a bit of Abralon applied to it, I think it'll be a great sanded ball. (After all, that was the manufacturer's intention!)

Not So Good - You wouldn't dream of throwing this ball on a dry condition. It's just too much ball for the high friction stuff.

Well, the Freight Train is only about 25 years late, but it was worth the wait Joanne!

Cheers,
Jason

A quick update on this ball. Chris Thomas sent me a text saying "Freight Train + House Shot = 734" (I replied Wow! Nice work!) He's loving the polished ball on the house shot at Belconnen, so I took mine down to Bathurst today on the house china. I was pleased to send him a text saying "Freight Train + House Shot = 776" (His reply isn't suitable for a family forum!) :D I opened with 249, 290 and 247. Interestingly, I thought my reaction wasn't that great to start with. Shows what I know.

I was able to play a lot straighter through the front of the lane, playing through 13-14 board at the arrows out to around 8 board. As soon as I made my fist move left, I knew it was going to be a good day. The ball read the spot I'd stripped and just motored to the pocket with very bad intentions. Nothing spectacular looking, but gee whiz, it knocked a lot of sticks over!

An interesting ball. It seems to have a few good ways to get the job done. My carry suffered a bit for the next two games, but they were still 210 and 220. Still working out how to fix that. I suspect I hadn't moved left enough and the ball may have tricked me there. Live and learn!

my son is one of the "young un's" that Jason refers to, so we took his advice and drilled one up for him. he absolutely kills the rack with this ball from anywhere across the lane and obviously he loves it. if its dry he shoots way right (yep he's a leftie) and if its heavy he plays down the left side and in and the ball is versatile enough to allow him to do this. awesome ball and great advice from Jason as per usual, thanks mate!!!

from what i've seen of Jason, CT and my son throwing this ball it would be a very fine addition to any arsenal, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom