2008 OPS Bowling Supplies WA Sports Series - Event # 2

ratty133

The Brow
Hi All

I am pleased to announce the 2nd stop on the 2008 WA Sports Series. It will be held on April 20th at AMF Cannington.

The format will be 8 games qualifying, cutting to the top 6 for 5 games of round robin matchplay.

Entry fee will be $85. And for thse who did not bowl todays event, the membership fee was not instated so no additional money is required.

Please leave your names here if you're interested in bowling this event.

Matt

Hi All

Please find attached the Flyer/Entry Form for the Next event at Cannington.

I would like to welcome AMF on board as the series second Major Sponsor.

We have also amended the handicap rule for this event. All females will now receive 12 pins per game. Further, any bowler with a league average of 180 or less as of the week prior to the event, will also recieve the 12 pin bonus REGARDLESS OF GENDER.

Come on WA, lets make this series the best it can be.

Squad list as of 5/2/08:

1. Matt Watson
2. Mitch Marris
3. Colin Murphy
4. Steve King
5. Jesus Herrero
6. Kevin Sheedy
7. Bryant Cocker

Attachments

• WA_sport_series - Cannington.pdf
    337.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi Matt-
What pattern is going to be put down for this event? You had the Cheetah listed on your original calendar, but I'm assuming that's changed now, since you wouldn't lay the same pattern twice in a row?

Its not often we get the opportunity to bowl 2 tournaments in WA on same day. :eek: Seniors State Team roll offs on this weekend, sorry Matty, will have to miss this one. Good luck, hope you get lots of entries.
Brenda

Updated List as of 9/2/08:

1. Matt Watson
2. Mitch Marris
3. Colin Murphy
4. Steve King
5. Jesus Herrero
6. Kevin Sheedy
7. Bryant Cocker
8. Jess Barratt
9. Mitch Edom
10. Cat Sharland

10 entries with 9 weeks to go. Come on WA, lets make this event the biggest one yet.

Please find attached the revised copy of the entry form, main change is adding in one of the prizes donated by one of the sponsors.

Attachments

• WA_sport_series - Cannington.pdf
    337.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi Matt

Rankings are going to work same as last year. If 20 bowlers participate, 1st recieves 20 points and 20th recieves 1 point.

As yet, there is no prize for the rankings this year. I may be able to sort something out but for time being there is nothing up for grabs.

Hope this answers your question.

Matt

thankyou matt,
I am not able to make the second event due to nationals but will look forward to the 3rd one. See ya round.

And here is was just about to bump up the thread to try and get more interest.

Thanks John

List to date:

1. Matt Watson
2. Mitch Marris
3. Colin Murphy
4. Steve King
5. Jesus Herrero
6. Kevin Sheedy
7. Bryant Cocker
8. Jess Barratt
9. Mitch Edom
10. Cat Sharland
11. John Baker

Come on WA, the event at Cannington last year fielded 41 entrants. Lets try and eclipse that number this year.

Dont forget, if you know of any lower average bowlers (under 180) these bowlers recieve a 12 pin per game handicap and are eligible for a $100 prize should they be the highest placed bowler in that category. And you get the thrill of bowling on the PBA SHARK PATTERN and all this for only $85.

Keep the entries coming guys.

Matt

updated squad list:

1. Matt Watson
2. Mitch Marris
3. Colin Murphy
4. Steve King
5. Jesus Herrero
6. Kevin Sheedy
7. Bryant Cocker
8. Jess Barratt
9. Mitch Edom
10. Cat Sharland
11. Chris Barratt
12. John Baker
13. Jamie Taylor
14. Gary Ribbans

Matt

updated squad list:

1. Matt Watson
2. Mitch Marris
3. Colin Murphy
4. Steve King
5. Jesus Herrero
6. Clinton Phelps
7. Bryant Cocker
8. Jess Barratt
9. Mitch Edom
10. Cat Sharland
11. Chris Barratt
12. John Baker
13. Jamie Taylor
14. Gary Ribbans

14 Entries withy just under a month to go. Surely there are more people out there who want to bowl this series??????

Hi everyone

The list is unchanged from last week, but i do have some sad new to give you all. Unless this event can attract at least 20 entries, it will have to be cancelled. I have thought about this decision for the last week and have made the decision in the best interest of you, the bowlers. As having 14 entries, makes a very weak prizefund which may not even be able to pay the 6 finalists.

If you do know of anyone who would be interested in bowling, please let them know. And dont forget, BOWLERS WHO CARRY A LEAGUE AVERAGE OF UNDER 180 WILL RECIEVE 12 PINS BONUS PER GAME, AND ALSO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A $100 PRIZE IF THEY ARE THE HIGHEST PLACED BOWLER FROM THIS CATEGORY.

FEMALES ALSO RECIEVE THE 12 PIN PER GAME BONUS.

So come on WA, lets get the extra 6 entries we need to make this tournament run.

Matt

Hey Clint

I had another 2 names registered on Monday bringing the total to 16.

This event will go ahead, and a decision will be made between now and next sunday if the series will continue. It is not worth the time, effort and cost (especially sponsors) to run these events if only 14 or 16 people show up.

That said, i really appreciate the support i get from the bowlers who do continue to bowl this series. I dont want to close the series, but unless entries can improve, im afraid there will be no choice.

Here is the updated List for those interested:

1. Matt Watson
2. Mitch Marris
3. Colin Murphy
4. Steve King
5. Jesus Herrero
6. Clinton Phelps
7. Bryant Cocker
8. Jess Barratt
9. Mitch Edom
10. Cat Sharland
11. Chris Barratt
12. John Baker
13. Jamie Taylor
14. Gary Ribbans
15. Samantha Matthews
16. Chris Matthews

Hi matt,
After talking to a few other people, this series has fallen into the same trap as all others, we live in WA, we do not have the ground swell of bowlers with any large numbers of scratch or high average bowlers at the top end, its simple mathematics and percentages, to get a tournament number of bowlers we have to have 5-10 times that for medium average bowlers and another 10 times that for lower average bowlers, these are not the roll and giggle bowlers that come once a week for a drink and a laugh with friends, but bowlers who wish to progress.
The sports series condition may well have been brought in to challenge people with certain conditions, but history shows that a good house condition attracts a wider range of bowlers to participate where they can get value for what they perceive is a good shot.
Take Cannington last year, over 40 entries then that condtion was laid down where for the week previous only a selected few at Cannington were able to practice on it, after the tournament so many who wanted to come back for tournaments walked away because of that reason only...look at the names and go ask.
Never the less, I have bowled in them when it doesnt clash with an interstate seniors, ATBSO or TBA Seniors as is this weekend.
We need to get people back into tournaments, especially if WA is ever going to make an impact Nationally, where are these guys travelling east to compete? they are not because they do not believe they have the skills to compete and don't want to waste their money, sports patterns are not laid down in tournaments.
We should have say 3 Major WA tournaments, don't have to be ranked like the Perth cup but would be nice, the conditions need to be laid where a wider variety of shots have a reasonable chance, this comfort zone rubbish is a reality and to get the numbers why not lay down comfort zone conditions. not easy conditions, but conditions peopple will walk away afterwards with a good experience, we know the better bowlers will still probably prevail, but at least all the others believe they can compete.
Some people will not see what I am trying to put forward, and thats fine as my name suggests I am putting up the argument to make people think, at the end of the day I would really love to see a lot of bowlers in tournaments, not just 190 plus as a purple circle establishment as it is perceived at the moment.
Hats off to sponsors like O.P.S. who are at least trying, but we need to take a snapshot of what Perth bowling actually is and tailor tournaments around that, not guess something would be suitable because some people said they wanted it, then don't turn up to support it.
Just my thoughts ..... go to it guys get commenting maybe something better will come of this..... happy bowling to all and go us seniors flying the flag for WA....

Back
Top Bottom